Ryobi Brushless Hammer Drill/Driver Kit Tool Review
This Ryobi Brushless Hammer Drill Review will have you throwing your other drills to the waist side.
The box comes packed with a P251 Ryobi brushless hammer drill, a P108 4Ah high capacity lithium+ battery, a P117 dual chemistry charger, a screwdriver bit, a auxiliary handle assembly, a tool bag and operator’s manual. Wow, that sounds like a steal.
There are some affiliate links in this post, meaning I get a small commission if you purchase through these links, at no cost to you. Click Here to read my full disclosure.
TESTING THE DRILL
First, I will start out by saying I was a little leery of trying this tool. I got the Ryobi ONE+ 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill/Driver a while back and wasn't 100% pleased with the power on that thing and I was skeptical on whether this hammer drill would be the same way.
I normally use a DEWALT 18V Drill and I normally don't use any other drill that doesn't match up, but I was presently surprised! This Ryobi Brushless Hammer Drill is definitely a contender. I now use both this Ryobi Brushless Hammer Drill and my 18V DEWALT drill hand in hand. So Kudos to you Ryobi!
This Ryobi Brushless Hammer Drill is equipped with a brushless motor that provides 50% longer runtime and it definitely shows! I am always picking up and using my drill during my project builds and its nice when you don't have to worry about switching batteries out until after your done building. Very pleased with the run-time.
I did a number of screwing and drilling but the most exciting test for me was seeing how the brushless hammer drill did with drilling holes into a center block/concrete. I was well pleased with the performance. Knowing that the Ryobi Hammer Drill has the power to get through concrete makes me feel that much better about having it around in the shop.
To drill the holes I used the Bosch Multi-Purpose Carbide Drill Bits. These bits can be used to drill Tile, Masonry, Wood, Metal and Concrete. I first learned about these at the THD Prospective event in Atlanta and just knew I needed to get some of these and luckily Bosch sent this set over to me! Bits for the win! These bits are the truth and luckily they are sold at your Local Home Depot. Retails for $19.97.
The Ryobi Hammer Drill comes ready with 3 modes. A drill mode for drilling holes in wood, plastic and metal. A drive mode for driving screws and bolts and a hammer mode for drilling holes in masonry and concrete. It provides a clutch override for quick mode changes from drilling to driving. With these three modes the Hammer Drill has all the options you need to make sure you can get the job done.
MAGTRAY Magnetic Holder
This feature is one of my favs because I am always misplacing my bits! This Ryobi Brushless Hammer Drill has a MAGTRAY magnetic holder for convenient storage of screws and bits.
I found this auxiliary handle super useful when drilling through concrete. It has a depth stop rod included for accuracy while drilling and it is also removable if not needed during a project which I was happy about.
Not that this is really a feature but I love that this hammer drill comes in a kit with the 4Ah high capacity lithium+ battery and the dual chemistry charger. I think it definitely makes the purchase well worth it.
HOW COULD IT BE BETTER?
Honestly, there was nothing I could really think of that would improve this Hammer Drill, which means I was super pleased with it. For the price and what you get, I would highly recommend this tool for any builder.
The Ryobi Brushless Hammer Drill Kit retails for $149.00 at the Home Depot.
- Brushless motor provides 50% longer runtime and extended tool life when compared to brushed motors
- Powerful design produces up to 750 in-lbs torque to handle the most demanding drilling and driving applications
- 24-position clutch and 2-speed gearbox for high speed or high torque performance needs
- 1/2 in. all-metal, keyless, ratcheting chuck for increased strength and durability
- Clutch override for quick mode changes
- Drill mode for drilling holes in wood, plastic and metal
- Drive mode: for driving screws and bolts
- Hammer mode: for drilling holes in masonry and concrete
- LED light illuminates the work area and remains on for a time after trigger is released
- Belt clip mounts to both sides of drill for convenience
- Auxiliary handle assembly included for accuracy while drilling
- New and improved GRIPZONE with microtexture for optimum grip and user comfort
- MAGTRAY magnetic holder for convenient storage of screws and bits
- Dual chemistry charger features IntelliPort technology, which conserves energy when not charging battery, protects battery cells and maximizes battery life
- High capacity 4Ah lithium+ battery features extreme weather performance and an on-board fuel gauge to check your charge
- Battery: 18V
- Chuck: ½”
- RPM: 0-375 / 0-1,600 RPM (No Load Speed)
- BPM: 0-5,600 / 0-24,000
- Clutch: 24 Positions
- Weight: 3.2 lbs.
Ryobi offers a 3 YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY on this tool.
I acknowledge that the Home Depot is partnering with me to participate in the The Home Depot Pro-Spective Campaign. As a part of the program, I am receiving compensation in the form of products and services, for the purposes of promoting The Home Depot. All expressed opinions and experiences are my own. My post complies with the Word of Mouth Marketing Association (WOMMA) Ethics Code and applicable Federal Trade Commission guidelines.